hilli baby corn is a snack or starter recipe of crispy & spicy pan-fried baby corn. A vegan dish.
This Indo Chinese recipe is a hit with many folks. I usually make chili baby corn as a side dish when I have an Indo Chinese menu at home. This chili baby corn recipe is a crisp version and a semi-dry dish. It has some moistness, hence I call it semi-dry. There is no gravy and the sauce coats the fried baby corn.
Chilli Baby Corn Recipe
- 10-12 baby corns
- ½ cup All-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- water as required
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 green chili slits
- 1 inch ginger (chopped)
- 7-8 garlic (chopped)
- 1 onion - cut in small cubes
- 1 capsicum - cut in small cubes
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
Making batter for chili baby corn
- Chop the baby corn if they are larger in size or keep them whole if they are smaller.
- In a pan, boil baby corns for nearly 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, we will prepare the batter. Make a smooth paste with the cornflour, all-purpose flour (maida), salt, black pepper, red chili powder, ginger-garlic paste, and water.
- After 10 minutes, rinse and dry the baby corn with kitchen towels.
- Heat oil on a frying pan.
- Dip each baby corn piece in the batter and coat it well with the batter.
- Deep fry the baby corn till the edges and sides are golden brown.
- Drain the baby corn on kitchen napkins.
Making chili baby corn
- In another pan or Kadai or wok, heat about 1 tbsp oil. Add green chili slits, chopped ginger and garlic for the flavor.
- Add chopped onions and capsicum. Stir fry on a medium flame till the veggies have become translucent.
- Now sprinkle black pepper powder and salt.
- Add the tomato ketchup and soy sauce and stir well.
- To give a glaze and smoothness in the dish, add cornflour mixed in water.
- Add the apple cider or white vinegar and stir again.
- Lastly add the fried baby corn with chopped celery to this mixture. Stir well.
- Baby corns are ready. Serve them hot!