asy, delicious, creamy, and flavorful restaurant style Dum Aloo Recipe made by simmering potatoes in spicy onion tomato and yogurt gravy. Dum Aloo is one of the Indian classic dishes served in special meals like weddings, celebrations, and festivals. Dum translates to steam cooked and aloo to Potatoes. So Dum Aloo translates to potatoes that are steam cooked.
Let’s begin the recipe of Dum Aloo:
Dum Aloo Recipe
- Boiled Baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1½ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1½ tbsp red chili powder
- 10 tbsp oil
- 1 cup Onions (chopped)
- cashews (optional)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup curd
- Take boiled baby potatoes. Peel off the skin and make pricks using a fork.
- In a bowl, take pricked potatoes and add salt, turmeric, red chili powder, and oil. Mix well.
- In a pan, heat 3 tbsp of oil and add the potatoes. Let it cook until they are crisp.
- In another pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Roast 1 cup chopped onion and cashews.
- Once the mixture cools down, blend it in a mixing jar and make a smooth paste.
- To make gravy, heat 3-4 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds and asafoetida (hing) for the flavor. Add 1 tbsp of turmeric powder and red chili powder and let it cook on low flame.
- Now add blended mixture and tomato puree and let it cook. Add salt to taste and coriander powder.
- Once the gravy is cooked, add the curd and mix well.
- Add water accordingly and lastly add the potatoes and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve the hot and delicious Dum Aloo with Naan or Jeera rice.